The Lord of the Rings: War in the North is an intense Action RPG video game for up to three players, based on the renowned works of J.R.R. Tolkien.
Gamers battle in the war-torn lands of Northern Middle-earth on a quest that Gandalf himself deemed imperative to the success of the One Ring’s journey toward Mordor. Evolving the RPG genre through innovative online, interdependent co-op play for up to three players who form their own Fellowship, this game breaks new ground as the first The Lord of the Rings video game to embrace the mature and brutal reality of J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle-earth.
Exploring previously unseen lands, storylines and characters as well as those familiar from past feature films, gamers experience expansive co-op gameplay and upgradeable weapons, character customization and development, skills and special abilities. Gamers must play together or perish as they work to defeat Sauron’s forces in the North.
• The Power of Three – Social play is redefined through groundbreaking online, interdependent co-op gameplay, which enables up to three different gamers to play as a complementary Fellowship. The skills of each individual enhance the success and progress of the Fellowship as a whole—play as a team or Perish!
• Brutal combat in a dark and dangerous Middle-earth – This is the first The Lord of the Rings game to embrace realistic combat as J.R.R. Tolkien conceived and depicted it. The ravages of war meet the twisted remorseless creatures of Middle-earth, demanding brutal force and bravery, for as stated by J.R.R. Tolkien, “no victory without suffering.”
• Original Storyline – Explore never-before-seen lands and play a critical role to help turn the tide of the War of the Ring. Gamers experience an original story created especially for the social, collaborative three-player experience, and approved by Middle-earth Enterprises, who manage The Lord of the Rings legacy.
• Intricate Character Customization – Players choose from three playable races—Human, Elf or Dwarf—for meaningful and rewarding RPG gameplay, including deep loot and reward systems. Customization features include race choice, initial facial characteristics selection, gear configuration, skill progression, and stat point assignment as you level up.
• Challenge Missions – Special missions consist of defensive positioning and group raids for Fellowships of up to three players, built especially for co-op challenges and outside of the central story.